The prostate is a small gland that is part of the male reproductive system. It's supposed to be about the shape and size of a walnut. It is located below the bladder and in front of the rectum. It surrounds a section of the urethra, the tube in your penis that transports urine from your bladder. The prostate helps make some of the fluid in semen, which carries sperm from men's testicles when ejaculating.
Your prostate may enlarge as you grow older. Most guys experience it as a natural part of ageing. The enlarged prostate might constrict the tube since it surrounds part of the urethra. As a result, problems with the prostate can affect both sexual and urine functioning. How do you know whether you are having a prostate problem? Watch out for the signs and symptoms below.
Top 6 Signs and Symptoms of Prostate Disorder
1. Have a weak urine stream - Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is the most common cause of this problem in men. When there is a problem with urine flow, it usually means that the bladder is not emptying properly. This happens with BPH because the enlarged prostate blocks the urethra, which is the tube that drains urine from the penis.
2. Frequent night urine trip - Nocturia is a condition in which you wake up frequently in the middle of the night to urinate. It commonly happens in men with enlarged prostate or BPH. Because the prostate is enlarged, extra pressure is applied to the urethra – the tube through which urine flows from the bladder and out of the body – and urine is retained in the bladder. Nocturia is a common and bothersome symptom in men with an enlarged prostate gland.
3. Get frequent pain or discomfort in your lower abdomen or pain while passing urine - You could have prostate inflammation (prostatitis) If you are constantly experiencing pain around the base of the penis and behind the scrotum, as well as pain in your lower back and the sensation of a full rectum while during urination. Prostatitis can be classified into:
Chronic prostatitis – is the most common type, with symptoms that come and go over time.
Acute prostatitis - is characterised by severe and sudden symptoms; it is uncommon but potentially fatal, may come with fever and need immediate treatment.
4. Have hematuria (blood in the urine) or hematospermia (blood in semen) - The enlarged prostate, pinches the urethra and can sometimes lead to detection of blood in urine or sperm, too.
5. Erectile dysfunction - Prostatitis pain can cause sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction and ejaculatory disturbance.
6. Feels like the bladder is never empty - Incomplete bladder emptying occurs when the muscles of the bladder are not able to squeeze properly to empty the bladder or due to an enlarged prostate gland that blocks the flow of urine out of the bladder.
If you see any of the above signs and symptoms, do immediate see your doctor right away for an early diagnosis of whether are you having prostate problems.